Category: How do I do X?
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

How do I set up external trigger with Zapier

Issue

I am looking for experience and advice on setting up a Zapier integration with an external trigger. Specifically, I want our CRM to trigger a Zapier action to pass client/job info and display it in our Appsmith UI and store it in MongoDB. Can webhooks be used to add extra triggers for this integration?

Resolution

To set up a Zapier integration with an external trigger, you can use webhooks to listen to an event and run a command or take any action you want. Here is a summary of the steps:

1. Set up a webhook in your CRM to trigger an API call to Appsmith when the client books a job.

2. Create a Zapier integration to receive the webhook event and pass client/job info to Appsmith.

3. Use Appsmith to display the client/job info in the UI and store it in MongoDB.

Using webhooks is a flexible way to add custom triggers to your Zapier integration. Here is an example of how you can use the Appsmith API to handle the webhook event:

const express = require('express');
const bodyParser = require('body-parser');
const app = express();

app.use(bodyParser.json());

app.post('/api/webhooks', (req, res) => {
const payload = req.body;
// handle the payload and pass client/job info to Appsmith
// display the client/job info in the UI and store it in MongoDB
res.send('Webhook received!');
});

app.listen(3000, () => console.log('Webhook server listening on port 3000'));

In this example, you are creating an Express.js server that listens for POST requests on the /api/webhooks endpoint. When a webhook event is received, you can extract the payload from the request body and pass it to Appsmith for further processing. You can customize the handling of the webhook event based on your specific needs.