Category: How do I do X?
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

How to get Total number of Records of a Table using MySQL

Issue

I needed to calculate the total number of records in a MySQL table. I used the command SELECT COUNT(*) as n from Dumpers; which gave me the result of 2. I wanted to access this value 'n' in JSON format, but wasn't sure how to do it. With the help of Amelia, I learned that the command {{NumberOfDumpers.data[0].n}} could be used to access the value of 2.

Resolution

To calculate the total number of records in a MySQL table, use the COUNT(*) function with your table name in the COUNT query.

The resulting value can be accessed in the JSON format by using the SELECT COUNT(*) as n from Dumpers; command, where the output will be in the format of an array with the key 'n' and the value corresponding to the total number of records in the table.

To access this value, use the following command: {{NumberOfDumpers.data[0].n}} where NumberOfDumpers is the name of the MySQL query and data[0].n is the key value pair to access the actual numeric count of records.

Overall, the process involves using MySQL commands to count the records and outputting the result in a format that can be accessed using JSON and template language.