Category: Appsmith Support
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

Appsmith 1.9.x on Ubuntu 22.04

Issue

I tried to update my self-hosted Appsmith app from version 1.8.15 to 1.9.x but faced a persistent booting-loop issue with MongoDB. Even a fresh installation with Ubuntu 22.04 was unsuccessful. I accessed the Docker container and updated MongoDB to 5.4, but the issue persisted. However, when I downgraded to version 1.8.x, Appsmith ran fine. I discovered that the issue was due to my CPU not supporting MongoDB v5 and needed to change the EVC mode to “Sandy Bridge” to upgrade to version 1.9.2 and subsequently to 1.9.7. It is necessary for the CPU to support AVX to run Appsmith successfully.

Resolution

The issue with upgrading Appsmith from version 1.8.15 to 1.9.x seems to be related to the MongoDB version. If you are using an external/custom MongoDB, you'll have to update it manually to version 5. Otherwise, it happens automatically. However, it's important to check if your CPU meets the requirements for Mongo 5. In some cases, it might be necessary to use an external MongoDB to work around this issue.

If you are using a CPU that does not support avx, you won't be able to upgrade to version 1.9.x. To fix this, you can try changing your evc mode to "sandy bridge". You can also check if your CPU supports avx by running the following command on Ubuntu:

grep flags -m1 /proc/cpuinfo | grep avx

Once the CPU requirements are met, you can update to version 1.9.x by changing the image tag in your docker-compose.yml file and running the upgrade command:

docker-compose pull && docker-compose rm -fsv appsmith && docker-compose up -d