Category: On Prem
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

Can I use Microsoft Cosmos DB instead of MongoDB to run Appsmith?

Issue

I want to connect Appsmith to Microsoft Cosmos DB (MongoDB API) instead of the Dockerized MongoDB container it currently uses in my self-hosted version. However, there may be compatibility issues in the long-term since Cosmos DB's feature set may differ from MongoDB's. To avoid managing databases myself, I can use either the cloud hosted version of Appsmith or MongoDB cloud for a hosted instance of MongoDB with all necessary features.

Resolution

The user wants to connect Appsmith to Microsoft Cosmos DB (MongoDB API) instead of the Dockerized MongoDB container that comes with self-hosted Appsmith. While it is theoretically possible, the compatibility of Cosmos DB's feature set with MongoDB is not guaranteed in the long run. As such, Appsmith recommends using their cloud-hosted version or MongoDB cloud as alternatives for a managed database service.

To use Appsmith's cloud-hosted version, users may simply sign up and transfer the problems of data management to Appsmith. For MongoDB cloud, users can avail of a hosted MongoDB instance complete with backup and restore features and regional hosting to minimize latency. Code examples are not necessary for this solution.