Category: Appsmith Support
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

Error 503 on selfhosted after watchtower automatic update to v1.90

Issue

I'm experiencing Error 503 on AppSmith after an automatic update to the latest release 1.9. Restarting the Docker images didn't work, and I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. I need help as we rely on this tool for internal testing. I will provide server logs to help investigate the issue. Update to v1.9.1 didn't fix the issue, and I don't have MongoDB installed separately. After downgrading to v1.8.15, the issue was resolved.

Resolution

The user was experiencing an Error 503 in AppSmith self-hosted in Docker on a Synology NAS after an automatic watchtower update to the latest release 1.90. The user could not even access the Admin Panel. The issue was quite unspecific. The user restarted the Docker images of watchtower and AppSmith itself, but it brought no success. The user reached out to the community for help.

The community suggested the user send the server logs to investigate the issue. The user was suggested to grab the logs by running docker logs -f appsmith or follow the steps in a guide on how to get the logs.

In the meantime, the AppSmith team released a new version, v1.9.1, that fixed the user's issue. The user updated the instance, but the issue persisted.

The community suggested the user upgrade their MongoDB to v5.0.14, but the user was using the Docker version without MongoDB installed separately. The user shared their docker-compose.yaml file and the logs with the community. The community suggested the user downgrade their instance to v1.8.15, as MongoDB 5 was not supported.

The user changed index.docker.io/appsmith/appsmith-ce to index.docker.io/appsmith/appsmith-ce:v1.8.15 in their docker-compose.yml file and did a docker-compose up -d, which resolved the issue.