Category: How do I do X?
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

How do I use Async/Await in Javascript?

Issue

As a developer, sometimes I need to perform multiple tasks in my code, but I don't want the fail or success of one task to block the execution of other tasks. This is where asynchronous programming comes in handy. However, there are times when I need the result of one task before moving on to the next, and this is where Async/Await comes in to provide a solution for synchronizing asynchronous calls. It allows me to wait for the result of an asynchronous call before moving on to the next line of code, making it possible to perform synchronous-like asynchronous operations.

Resolution

The solution to handle asynchronous operations in JavaScript is to use either synchronous or asynchronous programming. Synchronous programming follows a blocking architecture where program runs in a specific order, whereas asynchronous programming takes a non-blocking approach to execution of tasks and operations. Promises are used in JavaScript to represent the eventual completion or failure of an asynchronous operation and its resulting value.

To consume a promise in JavaScript, the .then() function is used to attach to a function that returns a promise. When a function fails, the .catch() method can be used to handle the error cases. In cases where the result of one operation is the input of another operation, Async/Await can be used to make asynchronous API calls seem synchronous.

Async/Await allows for asynchronous code to be written in a synchronous style without using the .then() method. The async keyword is used to declare a function, and the await keyword is used to wait for the execution of asynchronous functions to finish before moving onto the next line of code. Error handling is also done using the try...catch block.

Overall, understanding the differences between synchronous and asynchronous programming is key to understanding how to handle asynchronous operations in JavaScript. The choice between synchronous and asynchronous programming should depend on the specific use case and whether blocking the execution of other operations is necessary.