Category: Question and Answers
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

How to make REALLY custom URLs in Appsmith

Issue

I have a self-hosted version of Appsmith and I want to customize the URLs to remove the random symbols at the end. I was wondering if this is possible to do through a reverse proxy server like nginx or caddy. However, the engineering team explained that this cannot be done as the client extracts the page ID from the URL. One possible workaround is to embed the Appsmith dashboard into another page using iframes where URL control can be achieved.

Resolution

The individual was hoping to create custom URLs in Appsmith, and while this feature is not currently possible in the platform, a workaround was suggested. The team indicates that the Appsmith client needs to know the page and app ID to make requests to the server, so the page ID need to be visible in the browser URL for the client to identify it. However, it was suggested that custom URLs could be partially achieved via iframes. A user could embed the Appsmith dashboard into another page where they could control the URL.

Overall, while there is no direct solution, embedding the Appsmith dashboard into another page using an iframe appears to be a potential workaround for custom URLs.