Category: Data Source
Updated

This solution is summarized from an archived support forum post. This information may have changed. If you notice an error, please let us know in Discord.

Unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Issue

I am trying to use a self-signed certificate for an API in Appsmith datasource, but I keep getting an "unable to find valid certification path to requested target" error. I have uploaded the .pem file and set "Use self-signed certificate" to yes, but it still doesn't work. I have also followed the docs to install the custom CA's root certificate, but the error persists. What am I missing?

Resolution

The problem was that the self-signed certificate used by the API was not recognized by Appsmith and was leading to a "unable to find valid certification path to requested target" error. To fix this, the developer needed to install the custom CA's root certificate into Appsmith so that it could verify HTTPS connections using certs signed by that CA.

To install the root certificate, the developer created a ca-certs folder in the Appsmith's stacks folder and copied the root certificate there. Then, following the instructions in the Appsmith docs, they restarted Appsmith, added a new datasource, selected the self-signed certificate option, and uploaded the private certificate file.

However, even after doing all this, the error persisted. It is unclear what the exact cause of this error was.